Looking after you, and the generations to follow  

Do you own assets in the UK, but you now live overseas? 


It is important that you make a Will for each country where you have assets 


What are assets?


  • your home, and any other property you own

  • savings in bank and building society accounts

  • National Savings, such as premium bonds

  • insurance, such as life assurance or an endowment policy

  • pension funds that include a lump sum payment on death

  • investments such as stocks and shares or investment trusts


If you have assets in more than one country, or you are living in a different country to your assets, then you need an Expat Will.


Your assets must be probated in the country in which they are located. Probate is the process by which your Will is validated as your official Last Will and Testament, and by which your Executor is officially granted the powers to act as your estate administrator. Probate courts in each country will generally only accept a Will written under the laws of that country.


For example, presenting a Will written under the laws of Spain, to a probate court in England, is not going to work or will be very costly to your estate. This is because your UK assets will now pass under the  laws of Spain as well as UK.  This is why it is recommend that you prepare a Will for each country in which you hold assets.


  • If you are from the U.K. living abroad, and need a Will to cover your U.K. assets

  • If you are not from the UK but have assets in the UK

  • You will need a separate will for each country where you hold assets.

  • You must ensure that each will acknowledges the other and does not revoke each other